Wednesday 27 May 2015

I'm just not that into you...

Do you ever get a product that is super hyped, to get home and honestly think, meh?  

That's definitely happened to me on more than a few occasions.  I just love trying new stuff, be it makeup skin care, homeware, food.  New things excite me.  But I do like getting an objective view on products that everyone can't seem to get enough of.


Top to bottom, L-R: Laura Geller; Laura Mercier; MAC; Benefit; Benefit

Laura Geller Inkwell Waterproof Gel Liner: I believe this came in a beauty subscription box.  I've tried a few gel liners before and got on okay with them.  I suck big time at winged liner in general, I'll be honest, but usually with a bit of time and patience it's presentable enough.  However this just seemed... clumpy.  It didn't go on smooth AT ALL.  I soooo wanted to like it; it was such a pretty colour and I loved the brush in the lid.  No matter what I couldn't get it looking even on my lids, it was just a bit streaky and sad looking.

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer: I'm usually a big fan of this brand, but I have a feeling I was matched to the wrong colour.  It's in the shade Nude and I now know there are a couple of lighter colours (I always look more tan in beauty halls when I'm rather ghost-like).  It looks like the right colour as it goes on but withing 5 minutes it turns slightly Oompa Loompa-ish and orange is not a good look on me.  My other problem with this is that after trying it out I came up in a bumpy rash, which doesn't happen too often to me. 

Mac Rapidblack Penultimate Eyeliner: I now understand why this isn't the Ultimate eye liner!  When I first got this I loved it; it was beautifully dark and glided across my lids effortlessly.  After a week of use I started noticing it just wasn't as black as it used to be.  I was going over the same area of my lid four times to get a black-ish line.  It seems to be quite temperamental, as sometimes I'll use it and get that impenetrable black and other  times it'll be streaky again.  This is actually the first MAC liner I've tried, and if it had been my first experience with them it might have put me off, but I'm more than happy to try another of their liners out one of these days.

Benefit The Porefessional: Everyone sings the praises of this and I feel like I'm going really against the grain by disliking this so intently, but I just do not get on with it.  My pores aren't hugely troublesome to begin with, but sometimes across my nose and forehead they'll be a little more on show than I'd like.  I've tried The Porefessional about 10 times now, and each time I've had to completely redo my face.  It either pills (where it comes off in little balls) or goes on fine but leaves my skin feeling and looking so greasy that my makeup just slides right off.  At first I though it might have been the products I was using beforehand reacting with it, so I switched up moisturisers, serums etc. to no avail.  I think my skin just does not like it.

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara:  You might think with two Benefit items in one post that I don't like the brand.  It's actually the opposite, I can't do my makeup without their Stay don't stray primer!  Like many of their mascaras, this product is seriously popular, claiming to be super curling.  I have rather limp lashes and would love a bit of lift in them, and this does that!  my lashes looked like I'd curled them, they were lovely and dark, maybe slightly clumpier than my regular mascara, but looking rather nice... until I looked in the mirror an hour and a half later and noticed black smudges under my eyes.  It looked like I'd been crying.  I wrote it off as a one off and put it down to the heat that day, testing out the mascara on a decidedly colder day when I was inside doing very little.  After 30 minutes I walked by the mirror and caught a glimpse of my panda-esque, only a few minutes after I'd answered the door to the postman.  Such a good look...  Again I think it's something about me and Benefit mascaras as I've tried the BadGal and They're Real and have found they smudge on me too!

Have you found any products that just haven't lived up to the hype?  Maybe next time I'll pull out of my favourites that really are as marvellous as they say on the tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment